If you’re in the Ottawa area on Wednesday and you’ve been looking for tech get-togethers or a chance to meet the Shopify crew, you’re in luck! We’ve got a couple of events taking place, and as the Shopify spokesmodel, I’ll be at both of them:
- Land Your Dream Job 2.0, which takes place at Mercury Lounge from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Node.JS Ottawa Pub Nite, which takes place at the Sir John A. Pub from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Land Your Dream Job 2.0
The Venn diagram below shows where your dream job is: smack in the heart of the “Hooray!” zone:
I’ve been fortunate enough to live in that zone for a good chunk of my career, and my current job as Shopify’s Platform Evangelist certainly applies. I’ve landed these sorts of jobs in rather atypical ways and I think that going outside the “expected” or “typical” gives you the best odds at landing your dream job.
The Land Your Dream Job 2.0 event is part of OCRI’s smarTALKS series and all about doing just that. My fellow Shopifolks will be among the people there talking about how you can land that job that blends what you do well, what you want to do and what you can be paid to do.
You’ll learn about:
- The unusual methodologies and tactics that people who land dream jobs use when approaching employers
- What you can do to land a job at the tech firm or startup of your choice
- The current trends in hiring practices, what’s changed over the past few years and how you can tune your job search tactics around them
And you’ll hear from:
- Brittany Forsyth, Head of HR, Shopify
- Mike Freeman, Marketing Dude, Shopify
- Luc Levesque, Founder and GM, TravelPod (TripAdvisor)
- Doug Tetzner, Partner, Odgers Berndtson
- and Harley Finkelstein, Chief Platform Officer at Shopify, who’ll be moderating the event
Node.js Ottawa Pub Nite
Node.js Ottawa Pub Nite takes place this Wednesday, June 22nd at the Sir John A. Pub (284 Elgin Street) from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.. This is also a FREE event, and we recommend that you register so they have an idea of how much space to claim in the pub.