Now that I’m looking for my next gig (my last one was a victim of COVID-19), it’s time to revive this video that New Relic released a few years back to promote their application monitoring service.
Titled We Love Developers, it features some of the brightest lights in the industry:
- Matz: Yukihiro Matsumoto, creator of the Ruby programming language
- Guido van Rossum: Creator of the Python programming language
- Linus Torvalds: Creator of the Linux operating system and the Git version control system
- DHH: David Heinemeier Hansson, creator of the Ruby on Rails framework
- Bill Joy: Co-founder of Sun Microsystems and creator of the vi text editor
- James Gosling: Lead designer of the Java programming language
- Sir Tim: Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web
- Marc Andreesen: Co-creator of Mosaic, the first widely-used web browser, co-founder of Netscape, co-founder of Andreesen Horowitz
- Woz: Steve Wozniak, creator of Apple
- Rasmus Lerdorf: Creator of the PHP programming language
- The Gu: Scott Guthrie, creator of ASP.NET, Executive VP of Microsoft’s Cloud and AI group
- Sergey Brin: Co-founder of Google
- Dries Buytaert: Creator of Drupal
At the end of the video, they wanted to use the image of a more “everyman” developer to represent you, their customer. Guessed who they picked:
My photographer friend Adam P. W. Smith (my old business partner; together, we were datapanik software systems and we worked on some pretty interesting projects back in the late ‘90s) took the picture back in August when I was visiting him in Vancouver. I’d arrived a day early for the HackVAN hackathon and was sitting in his kitchen getting some work done when he decided to get a couple of shots. He poured me a glass of scotch, set it on my accordion, which I’d set down on the chair beside me, and staring taking pictures.
Are you looking for someone with both strong development and “soft” skills? Someone who’s comfortable either being in a team of developers or leading one? Someone who can handle code, coders, and customers? Someone who can clearly communicate with both humans and technology? The first step in finding this person is to check out my LinkedIn profile.