“Dilbert” on Extreme and Agile Programming

by Joey deVilla on November 28, 2007

Recent posts on Reddit have pointed to a number of Dilbert comic strips poking fun at extreme and agile programming; I thought I’d gather them in one place. Here they are, posted for your enjoyment (for as long as I escape the notice of United Feature Syndicate):

Dilbert comic on extreme programming

Dilbert comic on extreme programming

Dilbert comic on extreme programming

Dilbert comic on agile programming

1 dan December 8, 2007 at 11:51 am

it’s so funny because it’s so true

2 Ben September 1, 2009 at 11:39 pm

3 Nick October 2, 2009 at 2:55 am

Ben, love – you seem to have lost your sense of humour.

4 dontdrinkthekoolaid February 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Ben has drank the Kool-Aid

5 Rakshit Barma April 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Well Agile in the real world is loads of fun. ;)

6 aowgeh May 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm

“Well, everyone who thinks that Agile programming means no planning nor documentation has no clue what it is. Really.”
true, but it’s still funny :D

7 dan sucks July 16, 2010 at 6:27 am

dan you are an idiot man.

8 Nick July 27, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Xtreme programming doomed itself to stupidity when it chose to call itself “Extreme”. “Extreme” is a word used to sell sports drinks and sports videos to people that don’t mind being shouted at whilst eating doritos on the couch.

9 Agile requires agility November 29, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Not true of what Agile proposes, but soooo true regarding organisational understanding and misuse. Agile is now the byword for bad project management and schedule issues…

10 Hans Adam August 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Oh you poor younger programmers.
I’m 66 years old and have been programming for 42 years. Have so many successful projects behind me that I’ve forgotten most of them. My advice is ignore all buzz words, ignore all methodologies and just get back to your desks and do what you do best and that is write code. If you have a manager that tries to implement any of these methodolgies, scrum, agile, extreme (I almost barf when I thing about it) pair programming (somebody shoot me, or better yet the person I’m pairing with), then run for the nearest door and find a company that cares about results and frowns on bullshit processes.
Hans
PS, I’m really sorry you guys couldn’t find real carreers, programming, ye gads what a soul robbing way to spend your lives.

11 Johnny September 30, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Agile is the biggest scam yet perpetrated on the technically illiterate corporate masses.

12 Bob May 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Agile is an absolute scam. In theory it sounds great. In practise, executives and managers use it as an excuse to ignore planning and documentation. The result is chaos. Right back to a CMM Level 1 organization. I’m a project management consultant and I’ve worked at dozens of organizations, large and small, public and private. The ones that use waterfall methodologies run projects that come in at double the original budget and twice the original elapsed time. Agile projects come in 4 times the original budget and 4 times the elapsed time (if they ever manage to limp to the end before they’re terminated for non performance).

Waterfall, for all its faults, supported by reasonable change management discipline and good project management is STILL the lesser of two evils.

13 Ian October 7, 2013 at 9:16 am

Agile has made a miraculous change in the large banking firm I work for. The silly Gant charts and bogus schedules from all the PMP-certified folks have given way to actual productive results. We’re saving millions and actually creating valuable product in weeks instead of years.