Pythagorean Pick-Up [Updated]

by Joey deVilla on December 15, 2007

Don’t you wish stuff like this actually happened?

Comic showing guy picking up a girl using the Pythagorean Theorem
Click the comic to see it on its original page.
Comic courtesy of Miss Fipi Lele.

You get bonus bragging rights if you spotted the missing precondition.

1 Sloot December 15, 2007 at 11:56 am

pyth only applies if it’s a right angled triangle.

factually incorrect cartoon ;-)

2 David Janes December 15, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Tsk tsk… and in a Euclidean space.

3 Brent the Closet Geek December 15, 2007 at 8:40 pm

I barely made through math in high school and even *I* know the missing precondition.

4 Crazy Dr. M December 17, 2007 at 6:26 pm

er… that either/both of the two gendered characters are straight…?

Or is that too obtuse?

5 Joey deVilla December 17, 2007 at 8:45 pm

@Crazy Dr. M: Obtuse, perhaps — but not overly so. Well played, Doctor!

6 Brian December 18, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Dd y srsly nt lnk bck t th rtst? Tht mks y TRMNDS sshl. Brn n hll.

7 Joey deVilla December 18, 2007 at 9:03 pm

@Brian: Brian, Brian, B-ry! I simply had no idea where the comic came from. Your manners could use some work — hence the “disemvowelling” of your comment, but thanks for the heads-up!

8 Bearskinrug December 19, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Thanks for the post, Mr. deVilla…

pyth only applies if it’s a right angled triangle. factually incorrect cartoon ;-)

Hmm… correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t she holding a right-triangle?

9 Randy January 4, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I’m just trying to figure out what “sshl” is with vowels… oh. What a jrk.

And the obligatory Simpsons quote: “The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side!”

10 Rob Eby April 5, 2010 at 9:18 am

Randy,
that actually is used in the movie “Wizard of Oz”, when the scarecrow gets his brains, he spouts that phrase. It’s part of the social commentary. All along he has been the brains of the group, then he gets his papers, and says something really great sounding, but really wrong.

11 Juveria Syed May 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Does it really matter, I mean it’s only a cartoon, i maybe a kid but, I’m smater enough to know that normal people, don’t stree themselves over fake cartoons.