The next Tampa iOS Meetup has been announced for Wednesday, May 4th at 6:30 p.m.. This one builds on the previous meetup (but if you missed the last one, we’ll get you caught up) and is called Adding geolocation to our weather app. It takes place at our usual spot: Energy Sense Finance, 3825 Henderson Boulevard (just west of Dale Mabry), Suite 300.
We’ll pick up from where our last meetup, Build a simple weather app (and learn basic network programming along the way), left off. The app required you to specify your location before it would report the weather. But that’s not how most weather apps work: they use geolocation to get your phone’s coordinates and provide them to the weather service. In this meetup, we’ll show you how to harness the power of iOS geolocation through the Core Location framework.
We’ll begin with a quick walkthrough of last meetup’s weather app, just as a reminder for those of you who were there, and as a way for those of you who weren’t to get caught up. Then we’ll get right into the business of adding geolocation capability to our weather app, so that when you run it, it displays the weather for your location.
At the end of this session, you’ll know how to make use of geolocation through Core Location. We’ll make the source code and presentation materials available at the end, to make it easier for you to start your own geolocation projects.
Join us this Wednesday, get to know your fellow Tampa Bay iOS developers, and get ready to learn and have some fun!
Tampa iOS Meetup is a monthly meetup run by local mobile developer/designer Angela Don and Yours Truly. While Tampa has a couple of great iOS developer meetups — Craig Clayton’s Suncoast iOS and Chris Woodard’s Tampa Bay Cocoaheads, we figured that there was room for a third iOS meetup in the Tampa Bay area, and especially one that would stray into other areas of mobile development. So we made one.
- What: Tampa iOS’ Meetup’s “Adding geolocation to our weather app” session. Please sign up on our Meetup page so we can plan accordingly!
- When: Wednesday, May 4, 2016, 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. We’ll have some snacks at 6:30, with the presentation beginning at 7:00.
- Where: Energy Sense Finance, 3825 Henderson Boulevard (just west of Dale Mabry), Suite 300. See the map below.
- What to bring: Yourself, but if you’d like to follow along, bring your Macbook and make sure it’s got the latest Xcode.
- What to read in advance: If you’re one of those people who likes to do some readings ahead of a presentation, try this example location app written in Swift. We’ll be using our own tutorial material, but this may come in handy.