A test version of Smiles running on my WP7 device.
In between chatting with developers who dropped by today’s Coffee and Code in downtown Toronto and getting some work done, I’ve been playing Smiles (pictured above), an incredibly cute and incredibly addictive puzzle game by London, ON-based development shop Sykhronics.
Here’s a video of Smiles’ gameplay in its “Drop” mode:
Mike Kasprzak of Sykhronics was kind enough to send me an early test version of Smiles to show off the Phone’s game capabilities as well as the level of “polish” that Windows Phone 7 developers should be aiming for in their apps. Mike’s got some pretty high standards and is working to make sure that Smiles for WP7 meets them, and it shows! Even in this test version, Smiles looks and feels like a polished arcade classic, and when it’s done, it’s going to be a must-buy.
Keep writing those apps, and aim high! We’ll do what we can on our end to help out, which includes:
- Articles on Windows Phone 7 development in Silverlight and XNA
- Articles on good mobile user interface design and marketing your apps
- Announcements of upcoming Coffee and Codes and WP7 Deployment Clinics across Canada
- Coverage of “Phone Heroes”: People building apps for Windows Phone 7 – and hey, you could be one of them!
- Pointers to useful tools, resources and other things to help you build WP7 apps